Bridgenorth Football Ground
Northern Tasmanian Football Association (NTFA)
Red, gold and green
Formed in 1923, Bridgenorth Football Club competed initially in the West Tamar Football Association. Between 1923 and 1940 the club was a regular finalist, but its only premiership came in 1929 when it defeated Rosevears in the grand final by 20 points, 9.7 (61) to 5.11 (41).
In 1941, the WTFA went into recess because of the war, and did not resume until 1946. Bridgenorth won its second flag in 1949, and went on to be the most successful club in the competition during the ensuing decade, contesting eight out of ten grand finals for five wins. It commenced the 1960s with another premiership, and had added two more before the WTFA was dismantled at the conclusion of the 1969 season.
In 1970 a new competition, the Tamar Football Association, got underway. Formed by the amalgamation of the East and West Tamar competitions, it was dominated at first by the eastern clubs, and the Parrots did not manage to qualify for a grand final until 1982, when they lost to George Town by a point. The following year they made amends, downing the same opponent in the grand final by 34 points, 18.13 (121) to 13.9 (87). A second TFA premiership followed in 1984, after which the Association disbanded.
Bridgenorth’s most recent senior flag was claimed in 1996 in the Northern Amateurs Division One competition. In 1997 this competition was renamed the Northern Tasmanian Football Association, not to be confused with the earlier competition of the same name, which had gone into mothballs in 1987.
The NTFA is a two division competition, with the Parrots currently competing in division one.
John Devaney - Full Points Publications