P.O. Box 732, Geraldton 6530, Western Australia
Great Northern Football League (GNFL) since 1961
White and red
Initially known as Towns CMF, because of a link with the local Civil Military Force, the club took its bows in the Geraldton National Football Association in 1952, bringing the total number of teams in the competition up to four.\n\nDuring its debut season, Towns’ inexperience showed, and it frequently lost by heavy margins. However, towards the end of the year it managed to break through for a first win. After wearing black and gold playing uniforms in 1952 the club switched to the white and red that would become its trademark the next year following a donation of jumpers from South Fremantle. Like South Freo, Towns are known as the Bulldogs.\n\nWhen football in the Geraldton and Northampton regions was rationalised in 1961 with the establishment of the Great Northern Football League, Towns was one of eight inaugural members. The seniors’ first flag did not arrive until 1976, and the second until 1993, but over the last decade the Bulldogs have been by some measure the most successful club in the league. Their 2006 senior premiership was won unbeaten, and in 2007 they went back to back after comprehensively defeating Brigades in a high scoring grand final. A year later Towns claimed a premiership hat-trick for the second time since the turn of the century when they overcame the grand final challenge of Railway by 16 points. The 2009 season saw them establish a new league record when they became the first club to claim four flags in succession, which they did by means of a comfortable 8 goal grand final win over Railway.
John Devaney - Full Points Publications