Clare Street Oval; Battery Ground
TFA 1879-86; STFA 1887-95; STFL 1896; STFA 1897-1905
Red, white and blue (previously red and black, and navy blue and white)
Railway Football Club was formed in 1876 and entered the Tasmanian Football Association in 1879, the competition’s inaugural season. Over the remainder of the nineteenth century the club achieved more premiership success than any of its competitors. In 1897 it changed its name to South Hobart, and then to Wellington the following year. The club began the twentieth century as it had ended the nineteenth with flags in 1903 and 1904, but at the end of the 1905 season it went into permanent recess.
John Devaney - Full Points Publications