Australian Football Celebrating the history of the great Australian game


Carlton vs South Melbourne

Scoreboard | Match report | Match statistics

GF   Venue: M.C.G.   Date: Sat, 26-09-1914 2:50 pm   Crowd: 30,437   Gate: £1480/16  
Carlton C:  Norman Clark
South Melbourne C:  Vic Belcher
  STH by 2CARL by 21CARL by 9CARL by 6  

Match Report

Carlton premiers. Great southern effort. Beaten team rallies.


1914 GF caps



Amongst football impressions which gain occasional currency there is in many people's minds a conviction that, however finely South Melbourne play during the season, they are almost certain to disappoint their friends at the finish. They did so in the earlier stages of the final with Carlton on the Melbourne Cricket-ground on Saturday, but after half-time and especially in the last quarter, when all the conditions were adverse, they played with pluck and determination rarely equaled, and effectively disposed of the idea that, in a crisis they are bad finishers. No side could have died more gallantly, and while one cannot exactly say that they should have won, no one can deny that they might have won. The fact is that the imperfections of one year are rarely carried into the next, though a particular style of play may prevail in a team for several seasons.

With improved weather there was a larger attendance than on the previous Saturday, the number in the ground being 30,437, and the gate £1,480/16/. Of this amount a further contribution of £566/6/6 went to the Patriotic Fund, making a total for the four matches of £1,930/12/6, so that with the League's donation of £230, and about £150 collected from members of the M.C.C., the fund has benefited to the extent of £2,330 by this year's football finals, a contribution that does credit to everybody concerned.

To mention briefly the chief points of the game. Carlton had by half-time established a lead of 21 points, and it was not so much the advantage actually gained as the dash and strength of their play, in such marked contrast to their work of the previous Saturday, that impressed everyone with the belief that South Melbourne were a hopelessly beaten side. Up to that stage Carlton's superiority was almost general, their defence was very fine indeed, their forwards better than those of South Melbourne all through the game, and, most important of all, they were beating South Melbourne on the wings, where the Red and White shone out so strikingly a week before. In short, South Melbourne's strength in the last game was their weakness in this one.

Through the third quarter South, with their shooting still defective, first rivalled, then eclipsed, the Blues in their general play, and in the end they had driven Carlton absolutely to their last ditch in defence. It was a gallant effort on the part of the South, and deserved success. But, in losing as they did, they won, as far as public esteem goes, something really better than the pennant.

There were two changes in the personnel of the Carlton team, Baud and Calwell taking the place of Triplett and McKenzie, and several changes in the disposition of their forces.

First quarter

In the first quarter South Melbourne had the advantage of an oblique wind blowing exactly in the same direction as on the previous Saturday. They opened with a striking success, for, assisted by Rusich and Prince, Sloss got the ball on a difficult angle a long way out, but he was equal to the emergency, and scored a very fine first goal. Prince and Rusich were again prominent in the next South Melbourne rush, and Mullaly marked within range, but impulsively took a hurried shot, and missed. Then a Carlton dash, in which Baud and Green figured, landed the ball at the other end, and Rademacher marked in goal.

McGregor and Belcher battled about the centre, then O'Donoghue passed the ball on to South's forward lines where Sloss got a free kick, again a long way out. He made a fine shot, but was not quite straight, and Leehane and Haughton gave Carlton some relief. Charge and Kelly, the two big men on the South Melbourne side, were prominent in the next rally. Charge marking high over Cook's head, but on Carlton's side Haughton, O'Brien, and McGregor were in turn equal to every assault. A little later, Caldwell, in taking a good mark, kept Carlton out of range.

Little Morris was playing well for the Blues, and Dick opened out a fine individual display with a flying high mark, the first of many great efforts to his credit during the game. Brown, too, was playing with splendid dash and certainty, and was repeatedly cheered by the crowd. Carlton were doing well against the wind. A good mark of Belcher's kept them out of range, then Calwell and Baud forced it up. Daykin passed to Cook, who, kicking out of the crush, scored a behind. Before this pressure was eased Morris had a running shot for them, but only added another point. Then Charge, Prince, and O'Donoghue hurried the ball to the other end, Prince playing particularly well, and Baud's best efforts were needed to check this attack.

Both sides were battling hard, Carlton playing very strongly. Brown, following up one of his dashes, marked within distance, and his first shot brought only a behind, but South Melbourne had encroached on his mark. This occurred twice in the game, to Carlton's favour. He was given a second try, and with this got Carlton's first goal. Then Morris passed the ball to Hammond, who was within range, but scored only a point. A splendid high mark by Charge, another equally fine effort by Belcher, and O'Donoghue backing them up, passed the ball on to Freeman, who, with a long shot, scored a point, making them 1-3 all.

For a little while Carlton were very prominent, indeed, Brown and Morris chiefly responsible in getting it to the forwards. Cook took a hurried shot, but hit the man at his mark, and in an instant Green snapped up the ball, and whipped it through; second goal for Carlton. In an instant the South were attacking, and Sloss, with another very fine shot, got second goal for them. Thence on to the break it was keen and fast. Prince on the one side, and Jamieson on the other, gaining distinction. At quarter-time South Melbourne had 2-5 to Carlton's 2-3, and the Blues had come very creditably through a first quarter in losing only two points against the wind.


1914GF 1



Second quarter

In the second term South Melbourne realised the crisis, and changed their ruck men more than once, while the centre line had also to be braced up. Carlton at once attacked, Brown, Calwell, and Lowe being prominent, but the South answered the effort gallantly, and Dick's best play was demanded on the back line, where O'Brien and Fisher were in turn distinguished. Fisher took it around the wing, and one of his long kicks landed it with Morris at long range. The little fellow made a fine shot, and got third goal for Carlton. Charge, who bad been whipped back into the ruck again after a few minutes' rest, was still playing grandly, and received much attention from his opponents. O'Brien and Baud gave Carlton their next opportunity. Fisher was streaming into goal when he was sent flying from a push, behind. It gave him a free kick, and Carlton's fourth goal. Brown kept up his dash on the wing, while Daykin was playing a hard, fast game, and as a consequence O'Brien got the ball within easy range, but impulsively tried to bolt, and was brought down.

For a time the Carlton fellows were very much in evidence, almost every effort out of the common being credited to their share, and the South seemed to be badly flustered, and breaking down. In these rallies Daykin, Lowe, Dick, O'Brien, Brown, and McGregor were all valuable men. Once Kelly gave the South relief when it was badly needed, but in an instant the ball was back again, and Cook, with a hurried shot, got fifth goal for Carlton. South Melbourne were rattled then, and their play suffered both in dash and in accuracy, many of their efforts to exchange being rather faulty. Had it not been for Carlton's captain, Dick, they might have recovered, but as often as they got the ball within kicking distance, it was inevitably Dick who turned them back again.

O'Donoghue on the one side and Daykin on the other were cheered for very fine marks. Indeed, high-marking was an exceptionally fine feature of the match right through. A little later McGregor, with one of his best efforts, lodged the ball with Cook, who, however, made a poor shot. Prince was prominent for the South in the answering rush, and for a while Jamieson, Leehane, and Dick were put to their best in defence. Carlton's backs, however, being the soundest part of their organisation.

Baud and O'Brien gave Cook another chance before half-time, but it was a poor kick, and half-way through the scenes were Carlton 5-8, to South Melbourne's 2-5. At that stage South Melbourne seemed to be breaking down, and there was very little doubt as to the end. But the onlookers were still to see football.


1914GF 2



Third quarter

At the opening of the third quarter Lowe was cautioned for misconduct. A little later the steward spoke to Mullaly. With the exception of these two incidents, some roughing by Calwell, and a quite unnecessary charge by Hiskins, from which Brown suffered after he had taken his kick, there was nothing in the game that was not fair.

Early in the third term South Melbourne scored. The ball went with a rush to their forwards, and Mullaly taking a hurried shot got the goal. Dick and Sloss were distinguished in turn on opposite sides, but South Melbourne were picking up. Kelly had a running shot in a crush, but missed, and Haughton, who was playing back right through the game, relieved Carlton's goal. Belcher drove it back again to McDonald, who was for the first time prominent in Carlton's defence. It was a very fine defence, too. Dick, Baud, and Haughton were in turn under notice, and South Melbourne's forward line continued to be uncertain, and at times erratic, Morgan being their chief failure. Charge gave him it try, but be made poor use of it, and then Caldwell was getting in close when O'Brien marked and stopped him. Brown and Morris next had the ball in position for Carlton, but a mark by Deas checked this effort.

At that stage the big fellow, O'Brien, was an invaluable aid to Dick and Haughton in defence, and took several very fine high marks. Still, South Melbourne should have scored, for Caldwell and Kelly placed it with Charge close up to goal, but he could only get the usual behind. McGregor was sandwiched between two Southerners in one of his dashes, but came out of it creditably, and in a great struggle about the Carlton goal Charge got a free kick on an angle, but his shot went a long way astray. After a good defensive effort by Dick, Bollard, who had been injured and was transferred to the forward lines, also had a shot and missed.

Just as the bell rang Sloss got a free kick within range, but he, too, failed to add anything more than a behind to the score, and at three-quarter time Carlton had 5 goals 8 behinds to South Melbourne's 3 goals 11 behinds. In that quarter it was only South Melbourne's forwards that failed than. They had picked up wonderfully, and shown fine form in every other quarter of the field. Having failed with the wind their chance, however, seemed to be gone.


1914GF 3



Fourth quarter

This impression was strengthened when on starting the last term Lowe dashed the ball around the wing, O'Brien passed it promptly to Burleigh, and he got sixth goal for Carlton. It was their last chance for a long time. South Melbourne against the odds rallied brilliantly. Rusich got a long range chance and covered the distance, but was not straight. Prince, who since halftime had had the better of Baud on the wing, placed the ball once again in Carlton's defence line, where the inevitable Dick stopped them for a time. Bollard, however, got a hurried shot soon afterwards, but failed to score.

Sloss, although nearly done, threw himself, into it with magnificent energy, and was repeatedly cheered. Once Carlton through the efforts of Haughton and Baud broke through, but Kelly marked and checked them. Caldwell playing cleverly all day, gave Charge a mark in front, and interest in the game increased when he got fourth goal. It was Prince who gave them their next chance. Hair marked close up, but missed badly, and Carlton had another interlude, in which Haughton and Green figured.

Carlton were taking all the points that the law allowed and a few more, for the umpire punished Lowe for palpable delay with a free kick. Sloss, marking grandly and playing like a demon, rushed the ball in, but was so exhausted that he could not kick any distance. The South were dying gamely, and the crowd cheered every plucky effort. Hair got another shot and another miss. Still the pressure was great, the Carlton fellows occasionally almost at their wit's end. Fisher, however, made a fine dash along the wing; Morris carried it on with a flying mark, and Carlton out of a scramble got their only behind for that quarter, although the wind was blowing strong with them.

A little later the ball was right back in Carlton's goal, where Jamieson marked and momentarily eased the strain. O'Donoghue soon afterwards got a shot, but went just outside the goal post. Then Caldwell had a try with no better luck. Only a single goal separated the teams then. One straight shot by the South would at least have given them another game, but they were not equal to it, and when the bell brought great relief to Carlton, the blues had won the pennant by six points, the scores being:-

CARLTON, 6 goals 9 behinds (45 points).
SOUTH MELBOURNE 4 goals 15 behinds (39 points).

The scores are a true indication of the game. They show just where South Melbourne failed. The umpiring was again highly satisfactory, and Rawle has in these finals alone established himself as a very able judge.


1914GF 4



Best players

Individually South Melbourne had three unmistakable stars in the match, as against Carlton's two, but when one came to the second division, Carlton's balance was larger. Two men who greatly distinguished themselves for Carlton were Dick and Brown, one being as cool and sure in defence as the other was constantly brilliant in his wing play. Other men who did very valuable work for the winners were Haughton, collected and sure as a defender; O'Brien dashing and impulsive, and developing unmistakably into a great, footballer. He is very strong and does not use this advantage unfairly. McGregor was not quite so good as on the previous Saturday, but still useful, while little Morris held his own ably against bigger men. Lowe was another Carlton player who greatly improved on his previous week's form. Daykin was plucky and untiring, and made few mistakes; Baud very good in the first half especially; Hammond an undemonstrative worker, and Jamieson a handy man about goal.

The work of Charge and Sloss for South Melbourne was magnificent. Charge took all his bumps and interferences—sometimes rather unfair—without flinching. Sloss's dash and gameness in the last quarter especially—were simply remarkable. After half-time Prince was a great help to the side, and rarely made mistakes. The other men who distinguished themselves for the South were Caldwell, roving and on the wing; Kelly, who improved a good deal on his recent efforts; Belcher always watchful and sure; Rusich and O'Donoghue.

The premiers congratulated

As soon as the players had returned to their dressing-rooms and the large crowd had dispersed, the South Melbourne captain (Victor Belcher), accompanied by the president (Mr. G. Elmslie. M.L.A.) and vice-president (Mr. L. M. Thompson) visited the Carlton quarters. The South Melbourne captain congratulated Carlton on their fine victory. He felt that, though beaten, South Melbourne had shown that they could die fighting. He felt that some of the honours of the game rested with South Melbourne, but, as sportsmen, they congratulated their victors. It had been a grand match, and the public had had full value for their money.

At the request of Councillor John Gardiner (president of the Carlton club) speeches were also made by Messrs. Elmslie and Thompson.

A player reported

There were several instances during the game which attracted the notice of the steward (E. Jenkins). These are referred to above. There was a good deal of speculation as to whether any further action than a steward's warning would ensue. At the conclusion of the game, when Messrs. L. M. Thompson (South Melbourne) and J. Stewart (Carlton) interviewed the officials, in accordance with the rules, they were informed that J. Lowe (Carlton) would be reported. The allegation against him is that he was guilty of rough play generally, and also of having kicked A. O'Donoghue. The case will be heard by the independent tribunal during the week.

The financial result. Greatly reduced dividend.

The financial results of the semi-final and final matches are much smaller than in previous years, Last year the gross takings at these matches were £7,374/14/; in 1912 they amounted to £6,554/8/9. This year, however, not including the amount for the Patriotic Fund, the total is only £2,940/3/6. Executives of the various clubs are thus faced with the fact that their dividend will be much reduced. Last year each of the ten clubs in the League received a dividend of £434/10/1, but this year it will hardly amount to £100.

The estimated accounts show that out of the gate receipts of £2,940, there will have to be taken out nearly £2,000, with the result that there appears to be about £1,024 to divide. This would provide a dividend of £102 to each club.

In round numbers the position may be stated thus:

Semi-final and final matches: £2,940

M.C.C. ground charge: £294
Expenses of matches: £300
Allowances to clubs in semi-finals and Finals: £440
Donation to Patriotic Fund: £250
Charity vote: £165
Australasian Football Council: £82
Levy to League: £265
Visit of Sydney: £120


There will be further deductions from this dividend, for every club has to pay to the League a percentage of its gate receipts in the home and home matches. In some cases clubs have received an advance against their prospective dividend, and it will not be surprising if in one case at least it is not found that the net amount to be received from the League is insufficient to repay the advance.

The finance committees of the various clubs will find themselves in difficult positions, for the season's expenses have been unusually heavy. The record season of 1913 gave football financiers the idea that there was an inexhaustible supply of money to be drawn from the game. The result of the final matches this year will prove disastrous to many clubs.

In this connection it is interesting to refer to the remarks of Mr. A. A. Manzie, the hon. treasurer of the League, in his "budget" speech 12 months ago, when declaring the dividend for 1913. Mr. Manzie sounded a note of warning then, and many will be the regrets that it fell on deaf ears. Mr. Manzie said on that occasion:- "This year is a record of records, but, as a note of warning I want to tell you we have reached the 'high-water mark,' and it behoves us all to study strict economy in the coming season. We never know what may happen. We have been fortunate in having exceptionally fine weather for the semi-final and final matches. We have also been very lucky in having a grand final, and, taking everything into consideration, the prosperous condition of the country, & c., all have helped to a good football season, and have given us this splendid result."

A meeting of the League will be held in a few days to deal with the declaration of a dividend.


Match report by Observer


Title: Carlton premiers. Great southern effort. Beaten team rallies.
Author: Observer
Publisher: The Argus (Melbourne, Victoria: 1848-1957)
Date: Monday 28 September 1914

Title: Captains of the teams.
Photographers: Mendelssohn, Barroni
Publisher: The Weekly Times (Vic: 1914 - 1918)
Date: Saturday 3 October 1914

Title: Snapshots at the football Grand Final.
Photographers: Allan Studios, Collingwood
Publisher: Punch (Melbourne, Vic: 1900 - 1918; 1925)
Date: Thursday 8 October 1914

Match stats

Carlton Match Stats Career
# Player K M H D G B HO T FF FA Age Games G
25 Baud, Alf 0 22y 6d 34 15
2 Brown, Ted 1 22y 343d 24 2
28 Burleigh, Herb 1 22y 104d 10 7
26 Calwell, George 0 23y 86d 11 1
22 Cook, Bill 1 27y 20d 16 27
3 Daykin, Percy 0 24y 81d 20 9
1 Dick, Billy 0 25y 72d 118 54
21 Fisher, Charlie 1 21y 313d 16 22
17 Green, Gordon 1 24y 210d 48 41
24 Hammond, Charlie 0 28y 191d 109 22
16 Haughton, Harry 0 28y 267d 56 12
15 Jamieson, Ernie 0 26y 114d 80 4
7 Leehane, Steve 0 22y 341d 15 2
30 Lowe, Jack 0 23y 337d 38 33
4 McDonald, Andy 0 28y 273d 79 34
19 McGregor, Rod 0 31y 342d 163 20
19 Morris, Jimmy 1 23y 72d 5 5
10 O'Brien, Paddy 0 21y 163d 16 2
  Rushed   9  
  Totals         6 9         24y 346d 858 312
South Melbourne Match Stats Career
# Player K M H D G B HO T FF FA Age Games G
1 Belcher, Vic 0 26y 33d 154 59
12 Bollard, Tom 0 23y 345d 9 0
2 Caldwell, Jim 0 26y 46d 97 15
5 Charge, Les 1 23y 61d 63 49
8 Deas, Bob 0 28y 9d 87 70
9 Freeman, Jack 0 22y 315d 22 39
6 Hair, Ben 0 21y 362d 18 1
15 Hiskins, Stan 0 24y 116d 30 30
14 Kelly, Harvey 0 31y 186d 92 127
24 Morgan, Harry 0 25y 186d 21 27
17 Mullaly, Dick 1 22y 99d 44 7
26 O'Donoghue, Alan 0 23y 115d 26 15
19 Prince, Joe 0 28y 361d 85 6
20 Rademacher, Arthur 0 24y 303d 40 0
18 Rusich, Les 0 25y 140d 46 24
22 Saltau, Harry 0 23y 9d 44 0
21 Sloss, Bruce 2 25y 248d 84 44
27 Tandy, Mark 0 22y 23d 46 5
  Rushed   15  
  Totals         4 15         24y 345d 1008 518

Match highlights

Bruce Sloss played his last game for South Melbourne (V/AFL, Premiership Season, GF)


* Behinds calculated from the 1965 season on.
+ Score at the end of extra time.