Australian Football Celebrating the history of the great Australian game


Key Facts

Full name
Andrew Bews

Known as
Andrew Bews

19 July 1964 (age 59)

Age at first & last AFL game
First game: 17y 272d
Last game: 34y 41d

Height and weight
Height: 175 cm
Weight: 79 kg

Senior clubs
Geelong; Australia; Brisbane

Jumper numbers
Geelong: 46, 27
Brisbane: 25

Recruited from
North Geelong (1982); Geelong (1994)

Family links
Jed Bews (Son)

Andrew Bews

ClubLeagueCareer spanGamesGoalsAvgWin %AKIAHBAMKBV

AFL: 9,337th player to appear, 135th most games played, 763rd most goals kickedGeelong: 816th player to appear, 38th most games played, 61st most goals kickedBrisbane: 120th player to appear, 80th most games played, 253rd most goals kicked

Geelong’s quest to capture top spot received a setback when former skipper Andrew Bews received a three-match penalty last night at the AFL Tribunal. Bews, 28, was found guilty of a trial-by-video charge for unduly rough play where he was alleged to have jumped into West Coast wingman Peter Matera with his knees in a deliberate and violent manner during the third quarter of Saturday’s match at Kardinia Park. It was the veteran’s eighth tribunal appearance and his first since 1988. Matera told the tribunal he felt contact to the back of his neck but suffered no pain.¹

A tough, gutsy footballer who boasted plenty of energy and pace, Andrew Bews gave fineservice to both Geelong and Brisbane in a seventeen season career that saw him play close to 300 V/AFL games. Recruited by the Cats from North Geelong, he made his senior debut in 1982, and gradually developed into one of the foremost taggers in the game.

Because of his ability to shut down opposition rovers, Bews became a regular member of 'Big V' sides (12 appearances); his clashes with South Australian rover John Platten, in particular, were highlights of state of origin matches during the 1980s, and Bews consistently gave as good as he got, earning All Australian selection in 1987.

Bews was one of the Cats' best players in their six-point loss to Hawthorn in the 1989 VFL Grand Final, but missed the premiership decider of 1992 with injury. At the end of the 1993 season, after 207 games and 132 goals for Geelong, Bews crossed to Brisbane where, playing mainly as a defender, he was a steadying influence as the club emerged as an AFL power for the first time. In five seasons with the Bears/Lions he added 75 games and two goals.

Author - John Devaney


1. “The Canberra Times”, 30/7/92, page 24.


Full Points Footy Publications, Crème de la Crème


* Behinds calculated from the 1965 season on.
+ Score at the end of extra time.