Australian Football Celebrating the history of the great Australian game


Key Facts

Full name
Mark MacLure

Known as
Mark MacLure


14 July 1955 (age 67)

Place of birth
Perth, WA (6000)

Age at first & last AFL game
First game: 18y 350d
Last game: 31y 75d

Height and weight
Height: 188 cm
Weight: 90 kg

Senior clubs

Jumper numbers
Carlton: 36

Recruited from
East Sydney (1974)

State of origin

Mark MacLure

ClubLeagueCareer spanGamesGoalsAvgWin %AKIAHBAMKBV
East SydneyNSWANFL19738

AFL: 8,683rd player to appear, 311th most games played, 158th most goals kickedCarlton: 846th player to appear, 17th most games played, 12th most goals kicked

Born in Perth, Mark MacLure moved to Brisbane when he was 11 after his father was stationed there in the Navy. He played under-age football with Coorparoo, and then, after moving to Sydney, played in the under 19s with East Sydney. Shortly after making his senior debut he was watched by Carlton secretary Bert Deacon, who made the trip to Sydney on the recommendation of a local Blues supporter who had watched MacLure in action, and been impressed. Deacon, too, liked what he saw, and midway through the 1973 season, after just eight senior games with East Sydney, MacLure was invited to Melbourne to try out with Carlton's under 19s.

Strong overhead, and extremely aggressive, he made an immediate impact, and was invited to stay. Midway through the 1974 season he made his senior VFL debut against Geelong, and held his own. It was the start of an illustrious 13-season league career during which he played 243 games and booted 327 goals. Fairly light in build when he joined the Blues, he played mainly in the backlines during his first three seasons, but after he filled out he was tried at centre half forward to good effect.

If at times he struggled for consistency, MacLure's best was as good as if not better than that of any other player in the position. He represented Victoria, headed Carlton's goal kicking list twice, and was at centre half forward in the Blues' premiership teams of 1979, 1981 and 1982. A commanding, sometimes fearsome physical presence, he was ferociously protective of smaller team mates in the forward lines. He was appointed club captain in 1986, but endured a horror year with injuries. Towards the end of the year he recovered sufficiently to lead the team in its finals campaign, but this ended in disappointment as the Blues lost the Grand Final to Hawthorn. Mark MacLure retired shortly afterwards.

Author - John Devaney


Full Points Footy Publications


* Behinds calculated from the 1965 season on.
+ Score at the end of extra time.