Australian Football Celebrating the history of the great Australian game


Key Facts

Full name
Colin Campbell Watson

Known as
Colin Watson

12 October 1900

Place of birth
Allansford, VIC (3277)

20 May 1970 (aged 69)

Place of death
Tatura, VIC (3616)

Age at first & last AFL game
First game: 19y 202d
Last game: 34y 197d

Height and weight
Height: 180 cm
Weight: 83 kg

Senior clubs
Port Melbourne; St. Kilda

Jumper numbers
St. Kilda: 22, 31, 5, 1

Recruited from
South Warrnambool (1919); Port Melbourne (1920)

State of origin

Colin Watson

ClubLeagueCareer spanGamesGoalsAvgWin %AKIAHBAMKBV
Port MelbourneVFA19198
St. KildaV/AFL1920, 1922-1925, 1933-193593340.3737%22.505.5025
Total1919-1920, 1922-1925, 1933-1935101340.34

Pre 1965 stats are for selected matches only

AFL: 2,502nd player to appear, 2,545th most games played, 2,668th most goals kickedSt. Kilda: 489th player to appear, 143rd most games played, 188th most goals kicked

After playing a handful of games with VFA side Port Melbourne in 1919, Colin Watson, who had been brought to the city from South Warrnambool by Roy Cazaly, crossed to St Kilda in the VFL where he went on to enjoy a highly illustrious, if stuttering, league career. That stuttering began after just three games of his debut season when acrimonious in-fighting on the Saints' committee persuaded Watson to up stumps and return home to the country.

Watson returned to St Kilda in mid-1922, however, and soon treated football fans to the full range of his capabilities: stockily built, he was extraordinarily quick, both of mind and limb, and approached the game with a robustness which was as wholehearted as it was bereft of any kind of malice or spite. Equally at home on the half back line or across the centre, Watson peaked in 1924-5, earning carnival selection for the VFL and a club best and fairest award in the former year, and scoring a resounding win in the Brownlow Medal in the latter.

In 1926, he accepted the position of captain-coach of Stawell, but the Saints, perhaps not surprisingly, refused to clear him. After standing out of football for a year, Watson crossed to a different country club, Maryborough, without a clearance, and the Ballarat Football League was disqualified by the VFL as a consequence.

Watson stayed in the country, initially with Maryborough, and later with his original club, South Warrnambool, for seven years, but in 1933, aged 33, he was enticed back to the 'big time' by St Kilda. Quickly picking up where he had left off in his Brownlow Medal year, Watson was one of the Saints' best in 1933, and was included in the VFL state squad for the Sydney carnival.

In 1934, Watson captain-coached the Saints to seventh place on the ladder - their best return for five years - but after just one match of the 1935 season, which took his total number of VFL appearances to 93, the lure of the country proved too powerful, and he returned home for good.

Author - John Devaney


Full Points Footy Publications


* Behinds calculated from the 1965 season on.
+ Score at the end of extra time.