Australian Football Celebrating the history of the great Australian game


Premiership season 2022 - Round 7 Review

Total Crowd 11,670 (Avg 2,334)

Hi Footy fans...

This past weekend gave SANFL fans and a true hometown crowd the chance to remember one of the all-time greats of South Australian football. Late last year during post season, Russell Ebert lost his battle with acute myeloid leukaemia at the age of 72. Of course we all knew Russell as the man who helped Port Adelaide out of the SANFL wilderness to one of the most celebrated premiership seasons of 1977, the league's centenary year. As well as the 1980 and 1981 flags, he holds four Magarey Medals which is still the record to this day. He wore the SA guernsey on 29 occasions, including the breakthrough victory over Victoria in 1983 and coached the Origin side for three years in the mid-90's. He is also a football hall of fame member at both state and national level. He was involved with charities and community programs, which included the organisation that is known today as Novita. But most of all, he was a child of the Riverland. All footballers have a beginning and while he was born in Berri, his first handling of a footy was in the town of Loxton. With this, a tribute game would be held this season at the origin of Russell's footballing legacy against West Adelaide, the club that has the Riverland as part of its country zone. It was probably also fitting that last weekend, South Australia retained the Haydn Bunton Trophy against Western Australia, a state that Russell had one of his initial experiences against in State football as a player and later as a coach. We all remember and salute the man, the myth, the legend.

Welcome to the Round 7 edition of the SANFL Wrap-Up.

There would be a pair of games under Friday Night Lights to start the weekend's action, we first head up The Parade to the Coopers Stadium in Norwood for the game between the Redlegs and the Bulldogs. The Redlegs took all the points on offer from their two encounters last season, starting in Round 6 at Elizabeth by 32 points, then in Round 12 at home by five goals. The game at the Ponderosa was one that still burns for Bulldogs fans, not just for the club hierachy's unwillingness to switch on the lights for the final term, but also a controversial umpire call that seemed to kill a Dogs' comeback before it could get going. The Dogs' inability to find the big sticks in the second half cost them the return game. Before the state match bye, the Redlegs dropped points to the Panthers at The Parade while the Dogs were hammered into submission by the Blues. The aftermath of that debacle spilled into social media with Centrals fans earning the ire of coaches and players alike with some of their commentary. The game started on quite equal terms, a physical opening term saw the sides go tit-for-tat on the board. A late miss by the Redlegs prior to the quarter-time siren saw them up by a point, the board reading 3.2 to 3.1. The 'Legs flexed some more muscle in the second term as the Dogs' struggled to bust through the tough defence, but a trio of missed chances allowed the visitors to stay well in touch at the long break. Norwood kicked 3.3 to Centrals' 1.1, the gap extended to 15 points come half-time. The Bulldogs lifted in the third term as the goal-kicking struggles started affecting the Redleg camp, but at three quarter-time the home side still had the lead. A late chance to level the game for a second time prior to the three quarter-time siren went begging as the Bulldogs closed to a five-point deficit after managing to outscore the 'Legs 3.2 to 1.4. Unfortunately, the Bulldogs faithful would have to endure yet another "close but no cigar" situation as the Redlegs peppered their goal, scoring 3.5 to 1.1 to emerge victorious by 21 points. Harry Boyd was the star of the night for the Redlegs, with 31 disposals and 14 clearances. For the Bulldogs, it was Kyle Presbury with 21 disposals, five tackles and five clearances.

The second installment of Friday Night Mayhem for Round 7 takes us to the outer west, up the Port Road and into the Maughan Thiem Kia Oval in Woodville for its first night match for points as the Eagles clashed with the Crows. The reigning premiers hammered the Crows hard over their two match-ups last season with a poins deficit of almost 25 goals. Starting in Round 3, the Eagles trounced the Crows by 83 points, then by 65 points in Round 17. This time around would have a very different Crows side on the park unlike last season, with a swag of AFL-listed talent on show. Both sides came out with wins last weekend, with the Eagles winning the battle of Port Road against the Magpies at Alberton by 26 points, while the Crows belted the Bloods by nine goals at Richmond. The Eagles had most of the possession early but missed some chances to inflict early damage. The Crows answered during a 14-minute period to kick four goals before the Eagles got their second, at the first change it was Adelaide by three goals with a scoreline of 5.3 to 2.3. It was the Crows' turn to have some goal scoring issues themselves in the second quarter, spraying wide a multitude of chances. The gap would be widened by the long break, but not by much as the Crows lead stretched to 23 points, having scored 3.7 to 3.2. The Eagles turned up the heat in the third quarter, reeling Adelaide back to take over the lead going into the final change. The home side bagging six goals without a blemish to Adelaide's 2.2, a one-point lead to the premiers at three quarter-time. Unfortunately for the Woodville crowd, the Eagles were unable to maintain that rage in the final term. They seemed to use all their fuel up in that third quarter and would manage only two behinds in the last quarter as the Crows kicked 5.4 on their way to a 33-point triumph. The Crows will surely promote Reilly O'Brien to AFL duties after this, racking up 37 disposals, 11 marks and 13 clearances as best on ground for Adelaide. Joseph Sinor was the Eagles' standout, with 19 disposals and 11 tackles.

Now its onto the traditional Saturday afternoon timeslot as we head to the seaside of Adelaide and into the ACH Group Stadium in Glenelg for the Clash of the Cats, the Tigers taking on the Panthers for possession of the Carey-Darley Cup. These two clubs ran into each other on three occasions last year, with the Tigers coming out victorious in all of them. In Round 7 at Noarlunga, it was a 40-point hiding. Then in Round 15 at Brighton Road, it was by three goals. Finally it was a Preliminary Final meeting under the lights of Adelaide Oval. The Panthers were on a hot streak coming from the Elimination Final, but their goal-kicking boots were left back at Noarlunga as they struggled in front of the sticks to go down by 28 points. That night they kicked 6.13, in contrast to their 15 and 12 goals in the previous weeks. The Tigers were defeated by the Roosters last week in yet another one-kick loss, while the Panthers were victorious at The Parade by a goal. Strangely the Panthers went missing in the opening quarter, but the Tigers were spraying a good deal of their shots wide. At quarter-time it was the Tigers by 13 points, the board reading 2.4 to three behinds. The Panthers were more active in the second term and Glenelg's accuracy still wasn't too great, by the long break the blue and whites made that three-kick gap a two-kick one after scoring 4.1 to 3.4. The Tigers would still be up at half-time but now it was 10 points. South would have a turn with the inaccuracy bug when play resumed for the second half, wasting several big chances to take over the lead by the final change. Glenelg's lead was still just two straight kicks from the Panthers' grasp, the visitors kicking 3.5 to 3.3 as the Tigers' advantage was further reduced to eight points come three quarter-time. But that was where the Panthers' fight ended, managing only one major in the final term as the Tigers ran off to a 34-point win after they kicked 4.8 to finish the afternoon's proceedings. Matthew Allen was the stats king for the Tigers, with 27 disposals, nine marks and six tackles. For the Panthers, it was Joseph Haines with 24 disposals and seven marks.

The other Saturday afternoon match sends us to the inner northern suburbs and into the Prospect Oval where the Roosters hosted the Double Blues. It was the home sides that took the points in last year's encounters, with the Roosters winning by just three points at Prospect in a low scoring affair. Both sides managed seven goals each that day, but later in Round 19 at Oxford Terrace it was the Blues by 70 points in quite a turnaround. It was perhaps a sign of what was coming the following week, which was a dumping from finals football. The Roosters only just managed to escape the clutches of the Tigers at Menzies Crescent last week with their last minute match winner, while the Blues smashed the Bulldogs to pieces by 98 points. The Blues dominated the opening stanza to go into the first change with a two-goal lead, which could have been three if not for a last minute major to North. At quarter-time, the scores were 4.2 to 2.2. But then a second quarter lapse brought that work undone, restricted to just one behind as the Roosters exerted their authority. North slotted through 6.1 to take over the lead at the long break, ahead by 25 points come half-time. The Roosters mid-field was the difference maker. Although the Blues had more hitouts from the centre, the red and whites' clearances from stoppages created far more chances than the visitors. The Roosters answered pretty much every challenge Sturt threw at them when play resumed, both sides scoring 4.1 in the third term to leave the half-time deficit unchanged going into the final quarter. The Blues engine sputtered to a near stop in the final term, the Roosters allowing them just two more goals whilst they went and booted home 5.3 themselves to take out a 46-point win. This result would put the Roosters into second spot on the league ladder, while the Blues would fall from top to third after Adelaide's victory last night at Woodville. Aaron Young was North's best afield, with 35 disposals, seven marks and nine clearances. Between him and Mitch Harvey, they had over a third of the overall clearance count for the Roosters. In the Blues camp, Fos Williams Medallist Casey Voss was their standout with 29 disposals and 12 marks.

The final games takes us out into the countryside for the only Sunday afternoon game, into the first football home of Russell Ebert at the Loxton Oval in the Riverland as the Bloods took on the Magpies. Port Adelaide took all the points from their two games last season, with a 29-point win at Alberton in Round 8 followed by a 13-point win at Richmond in Round 15. It was probably the most competitive that the Bloods had been last year, keeping well within strike for the bulk of the game. The Magpies lost the Battle of the Birds last week, downed at home by the Eagles by 26 points while the Bloods were handed a nine-goal backhander by the Crows. This game was arranged not long after Ebert's death and after the disastrous showing by the Power in their tribute match, the Magpies had to respond on the stomping ground of his youth. Travelling fans and interested locals took in the carnival atmosphere as the Magpies dominated the opening 13 minutes to kick 4.1 before the Bloods could get one themselves. In fact, they only kicked one goal. A further trio of wasted chances saw the Magpies up by 16 points at quarter-time. The Magpies had some accuracy issues in the second quarter, but it didn't stop them from building on their advantage. The Bloods kicked four goals without a miss, but Port's 6.6 would put them up to a 34-point lead going into the sheds at half-time. The Magpies took their foot off the pedal when play restarted in the third quarter and the "home" side would slash the deficit in half by the final change. Port were kept to a miserly 1.4, Westies scored 4.3 to bring the gap back to three straight kicks of the lead come three quarter-time. The Bloods would kick a goal within 40 seconds of the start of the final term, but that two-kick gap was as close as they would get. The 'Pies dictated the play in the bulk of a 15-minute period to kick clear of West, altogether scoring 4.4 to 3.3 to run out four-goal victors and taking the inagural tribute trophy. Sam Mayes was Port's best with 33 disposals, four tackles and six clearances. For the Bloods, it was Josh Gore with three goals, 18 disposals and eight marks.


Friday May 20
Norwood 10.14 (74)
Central District 8.5 (53)
1,810 @ Coopers Stadium, Norwood

Adelaide 15.16 (106)
Woodville-West Torrens 11.7 (73)
1,702 @ Maughan Thiem Kia Oval, Woodville

Saturday May 21
Glenelg 12.19 (91)
South Adelaide 8.9 (57)
2,225 @ ACH Group Stadium, Glenelg

North Adelaide 17.8 (110)
Sturt 10.4 (64)
2,177 @ Prospect Oval

Sunday May 22
Port Adelaide 15.15 (105)
West Adelaide 12.9 (81)
Loxton Oval -- crowd number unknown

Norwood -- Taheny (concussion)
Central -- Fort (hamstring)
W-WT -- Guilhaus (calf)
Glenelg -- Kluske (groin), Chandler (hip)
South -- Mills-Richardson (ankle)
North -- LeBois (hamstring)

Adelaide -- Frampton (striking)
W-WT -- Williams (striking)
Glenelg -- Hosie (striking)
Sturt -- Battersby (forceful frontal contact)

Adelaide -- 12pts (6-1-0), 58.2%
North -- 12pts (6-1-0), 56.9%
Sturt -- 10pts (5-2-0), 57.1%
Glenelg -- 10pts (5-2-0), 53.2%
W-WT -- 8pts (4-3-0), 51.5%
Norwood -- 6pts (3-4-0), 52.7%
South -- 6pts (3-4-0), 47.5%
Port -- 4pts (2-5-0), 45.4%
Central -- 2pts (1-6-0), 40%
West -- 0pts (0-7-0), 36.9%

Next weekend in Round 8...

Friday May 27 @ 7:40pm
Norwood vs. Adelaide; Coopers Stadium, Norwood

Saturday May 28
Port Adelaide vs. North Adelaide; Alberton Oval @ 1:10pm
Central District vs. Glenelg; X-Convenience Oval, Elizabeth @ 2:10pm
South Adelaide vs. West Adelaide; Flinders University Stadium, Noarlunga @ 2:10pm
Sturt vs. Woodville-West Torrens; Wigan Oval, Unley @ 2:10pm

So until next weekend... see you at the Footy!

R-7, Ladder

Team GP PTS %
ADEL 7 12 58.18
NORTH 7 12 56.85
STURT 7 10 57.06
GLEN 7 10 53.21
W-WT 7 8 51.52
NORW 7 6 52.73
SOUTH 7 6 47.46
PORT 7 4 45.39
CENT 7 2 40.00
WEST 7 0 36.94


* Behinds calculated from the 1965 season on.
+ Score at the end of extra time.