Originally called Yaugher, the Forrest Football Club was established in 1891, and competed without any known success in a variety of local associations and leagues until 1922, when it embarked on a prolonged stint as a prominent member of the Polwarth Football Association (later League).
Forrest’s first known senior premiership arrived in 1925, and the club was successful twice more before the outbreak of the second world war. After the war the club continued to compete in the PFL, capturing further flags in 1952, 1954 and 1966.
The 1970 season saw Forrest commence in the Colac and District Football League where it endured a difficult time for many years. In 1986 the club was even forced into recess for a season. However, it recovered, and although life continued to be difficult for a time, eventually the dedication and persistence of its members, players and coaching staff paid off. In 2002 the Lions got to within a game of the grand final, and three years later they finally broke through for that elusive first senior flag in the CDFL. (Indeed, it was the club’s first CDFL premiership in any grade.) A second premiership followed in 2012 when the Lions overcame the setback of a second semi final loss to Lorne to overcame the same opponents a fortnight later in the grand final. Scores were Forrest 7.5 (47) defeated Lorne 5.12 (42).
After a 2015 season which saw the seniors finish seventh of eleven clubs, Forrest withdrew from the CDFL and went into recess in January 2016, citing changing demographics and a dearth of junior players. The club remains semi-active as a legal entity, holding its most recent Annual General Meeting in June 2021.
John Devaney - Full Points Publications